C. Raker and Sons
10371 Rainey Rd.
The information listed below is from the 2013 Tour. It will be updated as we near the 2014 Tour, which will be held July 28th to August 8th.
Garden Hours: Monday through Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. Weekend visits by appointment. Trials are open from July 17 - August 30, 2013.
The Raker Trial Gardens are the Midwest destination for a complete floricultural exhibit and comparison trial experience. The Gardens were created to serve as an industry information resource. With a focus on education, we create and maintain over five acres of colorful floral displays that offer visitors a unique learning opportunity.
• Row Comparison Trials. This is an exceptional opportunity to view over 600 rows of annuals and perennials in a true, side-by-side comparison format. In 2013 we will exhibit Angelonia, Alyssum, fibrous Begonias, Coleus from seed, vegetative Coleus from A-J, Lobularia, French Marigolds, bedding Petunias, vegetative Portulaca, Salvia splendens in shade, and bedding Snapdragons. First year over-wintered Perennial comparison Trial features Euphorbia. Second year overwintered Perennials include Dianthus and Heuchera
• Breeder Beds. The Raker Trial Gardens feature raised brick beds supported and designed by breeders across the globe. Our participants in 2013 include: American Takii, Ball Horticulture, Benary, Kieft/Darwin Perennials, Dummen, Fides/Oro/Ecke Ranch, Floranova, Grimes, HMA, Jelitto, Pan American Seed, Sakata, Selecta, Star Roses and Plants, SHS Griffin, and Syngenta Flowers.
• Hanging Basket Showcase. The 2013 Hanging Basket Showcase features a comprehensive collection of trailing Petunias from seed along with select zonal/interspecific Geraniums grown in 14" hanging baskets.
• New Varieties. The Raker Trial Garden offers an opportunity to view hundreds of new varieties each year
Hanging Baskets Showcase. Over 110 new and unique varieties displayed in 14" hanging baskets.
Steppes Showcase. Our popular brick and stone display area features 265 20" patio pots dedicated to unique varieties and 2013 new introductions for both sun and shade.
New Variety Row Comparisons. Over 200 comparison rows showing the latest new introductions in an in-ground setting.
New Variety container and row sponsors include: American Takii, Beekenkamp, Benary, Danziger, Fides Oro, Floranova, Florensis, Gerbera Factory, Hort Couture, Darwin/Kieft, KiwiFlora, Morel, Pan American Seed, Plant Haven, Rijnbeek and Son, Seminis, Skagit Gardens, Suntory, Syngenta Flowers, and Terra Nova.
• All-America Selections (AAS) Trial Ground and Display Garden. Raker is one of 47 locations across North America where potential new annual introductions are tested. Check out what new plants are under evaluation this year. See the last 5 years of winners of both the Vegetable and Flowering categories.
• Facility Tours. Daily Greenhouse Tours at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.